Western Economic Council
Scholarship and Citizenship Award – 2018
The Western Economic Council (“WEC”) is offering four $1,000 scholarship and citizenship grants to 2017 high school graduates who are residents of Western Hamilton County. The awards are for use by the grant winners in pursuing college, trade or vocational educations upon graduating from high school.
Residency Requirement: Applicants must reside within the geographic boundaries of Western Hamilton County (west of Hamilton Avenue, south of Butler County, east of the Indiana State Line and north of the Ohio River).
Application Requirements: Each application must be typed and submitted in a folder or binder for review by the Committee. There is no prescribed application form, but applicants in their own words must provide the following material and information, and meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must include their names, addresses, telephone numbers and the high schools from which they will be graduating;
- Each applicant must be eligible to receive a high school diploma at the end of the 2015-2016 academic year and have an average GPA equivalent of a grade level of “B” or better;
- Applicants must include their high school grade transcripts evidencing the courses they took in high school and their grades in each course;
- Applicants must include two letters of reference from their high school teachers or counselors;
- Applicants must describe their extracurricular interests and activities. These may include sports, academic clubs, music and outside jobs, and should particularly focus on volunteer work and other ways in which the applicant has contributed to his or her community;
- Applicants should describe their current career ambitions and why they chose the academic programs for which they are seeking WEC scholarship and citizenship awards;
- All application material in an applicant’s folder or binder must be well organized. However, applicants are encouraged to be creative in the design of their folders or binders, and to include any original artwork or photos that they believe will help the Committee understand their skills, achievements and educational goals;
- Applications should be sent to:
WEC Scholarship and Citizenship Awards Committee
c/o Mr. Frank Birkenhauer, Committee Chairman
6303 Harrison Avenue
Cincinnati, Ohio 45247
- Applications must be received by April 7, 2017.
Determination of Awards: All determinations by the Committee will be final. Awards to qualified applicants will be announced by May 12, 2017.
Exclusions: Relatives and other members of the households of the Board of Trustees of WEC are not eligible for awards.